Corn Chowder and Biscuits
12 or so servings
- 10 ears of corn
- 2 tbsp butter or neutral oil, like canola or grapeseed
- 1 large (or 2 medium) onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes (yellow or red), peeled and diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose or cake flour, plus more as needed
- 1 scant tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Shuck corn, and use a paring knife to strip kernels into a bowl. Put cobs in a pot with 10 cups water; bring to a boil, cover and simmer while you continue.
- Put butter or oil in a saucepan, and turn heat to medium-high. When butter melts or oil is hot, add onion and potatoes, along with a sprinkling of salt and pep-per. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- After corncobs have cooked at least 10 minutes, strain liquid into onion-potato mixture; bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. When potatoes are almost tender, add corn kernels and continue simmering, about 4-5 minutes. When corn is tender, add milk, and heat through. Taste, and adjust seasonings.Garnish with the parsley, and serve.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl (or food processor). Cut the butter into small bits and incorporate into the dry mix by picking it up with some of the dry ingredients in your fingers and rubbing them, then dropping it in the bowl. Make sure butter is blended in well
- Use a large spoon to stir in the yogurt until the mixture forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it about 10 times. Add a little flour if it is too sticky, but it should be pretty wet.
- Press the dough into a rectangle about 3/4 inch high and cut into rounds (about 2 inches wide) with a drinking glass or cookie cutter. Put the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes until golden brown.
Follow us on Social Media!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.