Mexican Chopped Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 9 tbsp canola oil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 7 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Romaine lettuce, finely chopped (other mixed greens can also be added)
- One bunch grape tomatoes, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 small poblano peppers, diced
- 2-3 bell peppers, (green, red or yellow), diced
- 2-3 avocados, diced
- 1 cup garbanzo beans (can substitute black beans)
- 6 tbsp toasted pepitas
- 1-2 cups of fresh, uncooked corn
- 6 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup of tortilla chips, crushed
- Cotija cheese, diced
- Place the whole cumin seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant and toasted, about 3 minutes. Place into a small shallow dish and add the canola oil, olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Blend with an immersion blender until thoroughly combined and the cumin seeds are crushed, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- Chicken: Place chicken breasts into large plastic storage bag. Pound with a mallet or rolling pin to flatten to 1/4 inch uniform thickness. Season chicken with salt and pepper, or a rub. Heat grill pan and drizzle chicken with olive oil. Grill chicken on both sides until done, about 7 minutes per side. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Slice chicken into flat, randomly shaped pieces.
- Shuck and wash corncobs. Slice raw kernels off shucked corn cobs. Set aside.
- Toss together in a large bowl the chopped lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, poblano pepper, bell pepper, avocado, garbanzo beans, pepitas, corn, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, and the cojita cheese together in a bowl. Drizzle the cumin vinaigrette on top of the salad, to taste, then toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately. Enjoy.
Follow us on Social Media!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.