Onion and Potato Casserole
- 6 medium russet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices or thinner (about 4 cups)
- 3 tbsp butter or 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup milk, broth, or milk substitute
- Paprika, to taste (to decorate)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with oil.
- Slice onions and chop garlic.
- Put 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet and over medium-low heat cook the onions until the onions begin to brown (Apprx 15 minutes). Add garlic after about 10 minutes.
- Scrub the potatoes, then thinly slice them with a knife or mandolin slicer.
- Spread a thin layer of potatoes in the baking dish, sprinkle with thyme, salt & pepper.
- Top with a layer of onions.
- Repeat layers twice ending with a layer of onions.
- Pour in milk and sprinkle with paprika
- Bake until lightly browned (about 30 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
Follow us on Social Media!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.