- 3-4 cups red split lentils
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 red bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 fresh jalapeno or serrano chili, finely chopped, including seeds
- 2 tablespoon fresh peeled and minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup tomato paste
- 7-10 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 cans unsweetened light coconut
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large soup pan and add the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno; cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have softened and start to take on some color.
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices and tomato paste and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until the mixture is toasty and fragrant.
- Add the water, coconut milk, lentils and chickpeas and cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes adding the lime juice at the end of cooking. Taste and adjust with more salt or more lime juice if desired.
- Serve the soup with some extra limes on the side.
Follow us on Social Media!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.